Ten years ago, today:
"we're going to make some history today"
Well that was true. Wow.
Notes on rewatching:
- Hehe, Macs running on Intel, how amazing.
- iTunes Store ... 5M songs per day. Of course, no app store yet!
- Zune, we hardly knew ya.
- Those old iPod ads were the best. Those white earbuds.
- Apple TV! Who can remember, it was introduced at the same time. Nice hobby.
- 22 min in ... every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything.
- Who wants a stylus? Nobody wants a stylus.
- iPhone runs OS X. Really!?
- Sync with iTunes. Yep the first iPhones required a computer. Quaint.
- 3.5mm headphone jack. "All your iPod headphones fit right in."
- Accelerometer. Weird to think turning your phone sideways didn't used to do anything.
- "To unlock my phone I just take my finger and slide it across."
- "You had me at scrolling."
- "The killer app for a phone is making calls." Hehe not any more.
- Random access voicemail. Another breakthrough we now take for granted.
- First public call was to Jony Ive. Of course. "It's not too shabby, is it."
- SMS texting pre-iMessage. Hardly ever see green anymore :)
- Pinch to zoom - big ovation.
- Yahoo! Mail. Yay. Biggest mail service in the world. That was then.
- Realtime stock updates... APPL was up $2.40 during this keynote. Heh.
- "I want to show you something truly remarkable" ... Google Maps on iPhone!
- Calling Starbucks: "I'd like to order 4,000 lattes to go please" ... so great.
- It's my pleasure to announce ... the CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt! This was before Android :)
- "You can't think of the internet without thinking of Yahoo!" Um ... yeah.
- Launch network Cingular. Remember them? Eleven days after AT&T had bought them!
- Love that anecdote about Woz and the TV scrambler at the end.
- Wayne Gretsky: "skating where the puck is going to be". Yep.
- Finally, can I just say, that version of IOS looks so much better!
- Pretty much the best tech product introduction of all time. The benchmark.
Can you remember what was in your pocket on that day? I proudly carried a Palm Centro.
I don't care what you say, that was a better time. (...more history...)