For the past ten years I've had the annual ritual of updating my blog's navigation bar with "this date in" links for the prior year. As I added '12 to the list it occurred to me, there's not much there; I did my daily posting on Facebook. Boo.
On 9/11 this year I posted my usual remembrance and on that occasion also paused to revisit everything that had happened in the past year. That was a pretty cool list to have (for me anyway). So in lieu of having personal history in my blog archive, here's that list again, updated...
- Moved to Westlake Island
- Started a daily view from the bridge, following bike rides
- Celebrated leap day
- Visited Vancouver: USCAP conference
- Sailed in the Caribbean (fourteen days, seven islands)
- Attended conference in San Jose: ATA conference
- Began following the baby geese
- Rode Breathless Agony (114 miles, 12,000 feet)
- Spectated Amgen Tour of California, Mount Baldy stage
- Visited Venice, Sweden, and Munich, conferences, customers, and symposia
- Started something new; still cooking, stay tuned for [much] more :)
- Cherished my Megan, wow
- Sailed Round the Island race, yay, and...
- Survived the C-15 nationals, double yay
- Kept riding to the beach
- Enjoyed Le Tour de France, as always
- Watched the London Olympics
- Cheered as Curiosity landed on Mars
- Felt amazing as Aperio agreed to be acquired by Leica (okay to celebrate :)
- Raced the Hoodoo 500 (517 miles, 34,000 feet), and finished!
- Czeched out Prague: ECP conference
- Loved the La Jolla Art and Wine Festival
- Experienced my first Parker 100
- Weathered Hurricane Sandy in Baltimore: Path Visions conference
- Voted for Romney / Ryan, and accepted their defeat...
- Escaped to the Ritz Laguna Nigel for a celebratory weekend
- Celebrated Fall on the Lake
- Made a pilgrimage to the Tesla toy store :)
- Gave thanks for everything, not least my wonderful family <3
- Wondered and shopped in Chicago, dressed for Holiday: RSNA conference, and...
- Listened to a performance of Wurther, my annual brush with opera
- Traveled to Dublin (!), met my new colleagues and enjoyed their city
- Completed my 54th trip around the sun
- Journeyed to Winnipeg, and...
- Landed in Vegas (!), with the Jersey Boys
- Boarded Big Bear
- Wished everyone a Merry Christmas
- Welcomed the New Year in Napa
So what's next? Well, I'm still living on Westlake Island, and still working for Aperio. But I do have some cool new projects cooking, and I'm totally excited about 2013...
Please stay tuned and I'll keep you posted!
Correlation vs. Causality
The Tyranny of Email
Aperio's Mission = Automating Pathology
Try, or Try Not
Books and Wine
God and Beauty
Moving Mount Fuji
Rock 'n Roll
IQ and Populations
Are You a Bright?
The Joy of Craftsmanship
The Emperor's New Code
The Return of the King
Religion vs IQ
In the Wet
the big day
solving bongard problems
the nuclear option
On the Persistence of Bad Design...
Texas chili cookoff
the inflection point
almost famous design and stochastic debugging
may I take your order?
New Yorker covers
Death Rider! (da da dum)
how did I get here (Mt.Whitney)?
the Law of Significance
Daniel Jacoby's photographs
in praise of paddle shifting
the first bird
Gödel Escher Bach: Birthday Cantatatata
shining a light
Father's Day (in pictures)
your cat for my car
discovering the third quadrant
Jobsnotes of note
world population map
no joy in Baker