Archive: January 6, 2013
Greetings blog friends, and Happy New Year. Yes, it is 2013 (yay!), and yes, it has now been over a year since I've posted regularly over here; I'm posting daily on my Facebook, and it's all public, so if you'd like please subscribe to me over there. I know, I know, it's not the same - and I'm not ruling out returning to more or less daily blogging - but I have no immediate plans to do so.
I did want to check in because it has now been ten years since I started blogging. Wow. During that time I have posted 2,618 entries incorporating 7,556 pictures, and they're all still online and accessible. I like having that history, and love being able to go back and see what I was thinking around a given time. (For example, during last fall's presidential election, it was so cool to visit blog posts from October 2008 and October 2004.) You might be interested to know this blog is entirely home grown and lives on a server in a closet of my house, and yes, that server is a Pentium II from 1999, and yes, it is running RedHat Linux 8, and yes, it is stable as hell. Old technology for an old blog :)
I do still intend to recover from my extreme Yak shaving and come out the other end with a blog I can completely maintain via email. As I've shifted more and more of my daily spelunking to my iPad this has become more and more pressing. Or speaking of pressing, I could move the whole thing to WordPress... hmmm.
For the past ten years I've had the annual ritual of updating my blog's navigation bar with "this date in" links for the prior year. As I added '12 to the list it occurred to me, there's not much there; I did my daily posting on Facebook. Boo.
On 9/11 this year I posted my usual remembrance and on that occasion also paused to revisit everything that had happened in the past year. That was a pretty cool list to have (for me anyway). So in lieu of having personal history in my blog archive, here's that list again, updated...
- Moved to Westlake Island
- Started a daily view from the bridge, following bike rides
- Celebrated leap day
- Visited Vancouver: USCAP conference
- Sailed in the Caribbean (fourteen days, seven islands)
- Attended conference in San Jose: ATA conference
- Began following the baby geese
- Rode Breathless Agony (114 miles, 12,000 feet)
- Spectated Amgen Tour of California, Mount Baldy stage
- Visited Venice, Sweden, and Munich, conferences, customers, and symposia
- Started something new; still cooking, stay tuned for [much] more :)
- Cherished my Megan, wow
- Sailed Round the Island race, yay, and...
- Survived the C-15 nationals, double yay
- Kept riding to the beach
- Enjoyed Le Tour de France, as always
- Watched the London Olympics
- Cheered as Curiosity landed on Mars
- Felt amazing as Aperio agreed to be acquired by Leica (okay to celebrate :)
- Raced the Hoodoo 500 (517 miles, 34,000 feet), and finished!
- Czeched out Prague: ECP conference
- Loved the La Jolla Art and Wine Festival
- Experienced my first Parker 100
- Weathered Hurricane Sandy in Baltimore: Path Visions conference
- Voted for Romney / Ryan, and accepted their defeat...
- Escaped to the Ritz Laguna Nigel for a celebratory weekend
- Celebrated Fall on the Lake
- Made a pilgrimage to the Tesla toy store :)
- Gave thanks for everything, not least my wonderful family <3
- Wondered and shopped in Chicago, dressed for Holiday: RSNA conference, and...
- Listened to a performance of Wurther, my annual brush with opera
- Traveled to Dublin (!), met my new colleagues and enjoyed their city
- Completed my 54th trip around the sun
- Journeyed to Winnipeg, and...
- Landed in Vegas (!), with the Jersey Boys
- Boarded Big Bear
- Wished everyone a Merry Christmas
- Welcomed the New Year in Napa
So what's next? Well, I'm still living on Westlake Island, and still working for Aperio. But I do have some cool new projects cooking, and I'm totally excited about 2013...
Please stay tuned and I'll keep you posted!
Return to the archive.